A torch tweak?

Moderator: Moderatoren

7 Beiträge Seite 1 von 1
ahillamon
Bettler
Bettler

First I wanted to say that I love Nehrim, I've only been able to play it for a couple of hours, but it feels like a wonderful way to pass the time waiting for TES V. :D

However, there is one thing that keeps bugging me in this game, namely the torches. In Oblivion I barely ever used them since the vanilla dungeons were bright enough to see in without additional help (unrealistic, I know). In Nehrim, I haven't found a brightness slider, only the gamma one and the dungeons are much darker by default. This would be a fun tactical challenge to decide whether to hold out a torch and risk being spotted by enemies, or carry a two handed-bow, but not see very well.

The thing is though that the torches are very dim and have a ridiculously short light radius. They barely light my characters immediate surroundings and I have real trouble seeing when I'm in anything larger than a tunnel. I know this accounts to personal taste and that some people like it just the way it is, but I've always hated games that are too dark to see anything clearly. My monitor being next to a window is already making this worse.

I'm just wondering, since I have no skill with modding whatsoever, if anyone would be kind enough to quickly create a small torch tweak for me. I remember reading from some old Oblivion mod that editing torches shouldn't be too difficult. I'd really appreciate anyone helping me out. :)

PS. Before anyone asks, I'm using Bloom lightning, since I think HDR made everything even darker (and I like to have AA enabled :wink:)
Chasm
Arkanmagier
Arkanmagier
Danksagung erhalten: 1 Mal

There are other two better torches in the game.
Have you tried them?
They are rare but a vendor in Erothin near the cemetery sells them. (Some vendors in other cities too.)

There are also both light and infravision spells and potions.
ahillamon
Bettler
Bettler

I didn't even know there were other torches in the game. :? I'm still near the beginning, so I haven't had the chance to visti Erothin yet. And I'm still too low leveled to probably rely exclusively on infravision or light spells/scrolls/potions.

I guess I'll just have to try and stay away from dungeons for a while until I level more or get to Erothin. I still wouldn't mind a torch mod for the basic torch though. :wink:
Chasm
Arkanmagier
Arkanmagier

Well, Nehrim is supposed to be one of the "darker" games. ;)
Both inside dungeons and as far as the storyline is concerned.
ahillamon
Bettler
Bettler

But it doesn't matter how good or dark a game's storyline is if it's graphics are too dark to be comfortably playable, right? :P
Chasm
Arkanmagier
Arkanmagier

Uhm...

That is just the high grade of realism. 8)
Or some marketing speech to that effect. :lol:

I'm actually planing on a hardware calibrated TFT with the standard brightness and gamma settings.
In the late game there are some dark dungeons with really dark corners. "Can't see anything" dark.
But that is not the beginning, there you should be able to see a bit with the normal torch.

Simple Contrast / Brightness calibration:
You should be able to see and differentiate all steps between black and white in this picture:
Bild
(The one closest to black is hard to distinguish)

If that works it would be really nice if you (barely) see all of the squares within the squares:
Bild
Most is also ok, it is not easy to get the contrast/gamma right without a colorimeter.

If that is not totally off there should not be to many problems with the ingame brightness.

Let's see if I can find the item ID for a better torch.

EDIT:
001B97CC Bright Torch
001B97CD Aeterna Torch
ahillamon
Bettler
Bettler

My monitor displays everything correctly. But thank you for the torch IDs! I'll be using the bright torches from now on. :)
7 Beiträge Seite 1 von 1