New Game questions

Moderator: Moderatoren

9 Beiträge Seite 1 von 1
Jenos
Lumpensammler
Lumpensammler

I recently started a new game and I'm a couple hours in. I'm A. Very Impressed at the quality, and B. Having some questions about the game.

First off, is there a way to increase the size of the compass? I'm finding it very cramped and difficult to read what exactly is going on there.

Second, when will I find additional trainers? I'm at the abbey right now(level 5) and the only trainer I've found so far is a blade/marksman trainer. This leads into my 3rd question

Third, when should I start pursuing the main quests? I'm right now just exploring, because I get the feeling this game rewards random exploration but doesn't have a lot of sidequests to facilitate this exploration. This leads back to my previous question because to do exploration at level 3 or so I was forced to spend a significant chunk of my learning points to get blade just so I could go explore. Otherwise things like kobolds and pickpockets would slaughter me. I'm kinda irked about this, because the lack of a corresponding blunt trainer(or did I miss this guy entirely?) means I had to train blade if I want to explore early game.

Fourth, In one of the forts(ruins of aldfeld), I found this glowing, floating blue ball hovering in the crypt. Is there any purpose to this or is it purely aesthetic?

Edit: Fifth, what is the purpose behind hunting talents(skinning defanging etc)? Do those items just sell, or do they have further uses that make hunting more than just a money source?

Anyway just some questions that came up, I'm enjoying the game and looking forward to seeing how it plays out.
Aisis
SureShortcut
SureShortcut
Sterndeuter
Sterndeuter
Danksagung erhalten: 4 Mal

OK, here are some answers based on my own experience:

1. - You can always use HUD replacers which were made for Oblivion. Don't ask me how well it will work, since I didn't try it. Of course, it will replace the whole HUD and not only the compass. Check TES Nexus or Planet Elder's Scrolls for these.

2. - Walk along the paths. If you follow the roads, you can get further, even into a more dangerous teritory and of course get into other villages and cities with trainers in them. You may also find random settlements /camps with trainers on the way. I don't remember the precise locations of trainers, but it's also truth, that I like to play it hardcore and thus don't overdo the training.

3. - I'd advise you to explore the starting 1-7 area completely before going further. You can power up that way quite well and also find a lot of useful stuff (extra enchanted or set armors too). Once you are finished with it, you can go further without trouble. There is also another reason for this - once you are a few levels above the area's limits the dungeons and loot are not worth the trouble anymore to go back and finish the sweeping. You may also want to do the quest involving your past sooner then following the main quest (Did you find the scribbled map in your chest at the Abbey?). It is true, that there are less side quests then in Oblivion, but the quality is higher and some of them involve a lot of walking on the map, with very different and remote locations. By the way, you may want to keep training blade further. Why? Unfortunately, there isn't a final blunt weapon yet, or to be more clear, you will have to use a sword close to the end of the game (was still so in version 1.0.7, can't say for 1.0.8.2 ).

4. - I think in that particular cave it's only an aesthetic part. In other dungeons these glowing balls are traps, so be on your guard.

5. - The main point of hunting skills is money. You spend a lot of them on the books, but they pay off very soon. And a large part of the huntsman tokens (aka teeth, claws...) are powerful ingredients for alchemy.

And one final advice - don't play Nerhim as if it was Oblivion. This may be based on the same engine and graphics, but the gameplay isn't the same. Treat it as a new game and you will get the most of it. Don't think you know how strong the enemies are or that striding through the landscapes is safe, since it is not. Careful is the way to go and if you already get into trouble, use anything you can to get out of it - your scrolls, potions, different weapons /armor or enchanted stuff, all can help you to get out. Take advantage of the surroundings - hide behind trees, rock or pillars to evade spells; get into water and get on the other bank to escape from your enemies; jump up to places only you can reach. :wink:
Jenos
Lumpensammler
Lumpensammler

Thanks for the responses. I'll start working on the past quest then(I need to go to stonebridge next). I decided to run to Sanctum anyway at level 6(which I still am) when I ran out of things to do in the original valley; it turned out to be okay when I just stuck to the roads. Though entering buildings along the way was not a good idea...I entered a church that was attacked and burned nearly all my potions trying to defend against 3 goblins in close quarters.

Do enemies respawn in this game? I ask because right now I'm stuck at level 6. I can't find anymore dungeons to explore in the 1-7 level valley(and I've looked EVERYWHERE in the valley), and I'm terrified of the 7-12 range dungeons because my experience in them has been largely painful. If the 1-7 valley dungeons respawn, then I can A. Try to level up a bit more, and B. Try to finish off the item sets I have.

Do skill level ups grant the same abilities as in oblivion? I mean, if I get 50 mercantile can I start to sell all items to all vendors, does speechcraft make the minigame easier when you get to apprentice, etc. When I reach 25/50/etc in a skill I get a blank message of level up, which, if I remember Oblivion correctly(and I may not) the messages would explain the new benefit.

I'm well aware that this isn't Oblivion. For starters, this game REWARDS exploration. Each dungeon has its own unique loot, so straying off the beaten path is very lucrative. Second, this game is actually unique. This is what really draws me in, when I find a fort in this game its not the same old level design, they actually change. I've been exploring more and found more trainers, especially in Sanctum. Still, there are plenty of trainers left for me to find, for skills like Alchemy and Security. But it seems like there is a heavy focus on exploration in this game, so I figure I just need to get out there and find them. Besides, I suspect I've barely completed 1 or 2% of the game so far, there is a TON left for me to do.
Aisis
SureShortcut
SureShortcut
Sterndeuter
Sterndeuter

Ah, bad luck. That church is a high level area. You can always run out of there tough and the goblins shouldn't go after you to the outside. In some dungeons this is the case, may it be intended or not.

Enemies do respawn, but it sould be only the wildlife in the exteriors. Bandits on the roads and all dungeons related enemies shouldn't. No guarantees though.

The skill extras are the same as in Oblivion, since this stuff is hardcoded into the engine and can't be changed. The blank message is because of the German translation being the property of the team, which translated Oblivion into German (or something like that). I should add the messages in my next hotfix release it seems. :roll:

Not all loot is unique in Nehrim. There is more then one piece of the special loots in the game, so it may happen, that you will find two or even three of the same kind. On the other hand, it gives you more chances to get a whole set of the special set armors. Some side quest related stuff is unique though.

Yes, you are at the start. :mrgreen: There is a lot more to see and do in Nehrim. I must say, that especially the main quest dungeons are a real treat, completely different from what you would expect in Oblivion and with a lot of unique approaches. One small hint - always save your game before getting a new assigment and also before completing it. This way you may avoid getting sucked into the things happening without being prepared for them; it does happen sometimes, that the quests end or start without a warning. Expect the unexpected, so to speak.
Jenos
Lumpensammler
Lumpensammler

Hmm, about respawns, is it the same 3 day timer as in Oblivion? Also, when do vendors respawn their stock?

Another question: how useful is Luck in Nehrim? In Oblivion Luck was a fairly useful attribute, to the point where it was worth putting a point in every level. Is this the same case here? I understand there are plants to raise luck, but how common are they?

Also, I've found a handful of key-locked doors in dungeons. Are these doors related to a quest, or would the key be somewhere in the dungeon itself that I have to find?
Aisis
SureShortcut
SureShortcut
Sterndeuter
Sterndeuter

The respawn time should be the same, thoughn I didn't get a chance to tests it (moved around the world map too much). It should be the same for vendors. Beware, not all the stuff will respawn in their inventory, since a lot of the items are directly in the int. cells and not in respawnable containers.

Hm, I'd have to look into the luck stats to see that. The luck ingredient is much rarer then the other one, after all luck affects much more.

Locked doors in dungeons may be both, quest related or just key locked. You'll have to look well around the particular dungeon to get the answer. For others you may get very special instructions in order to open them, when they are quest related. Read all pop-up messages, it often saves a lot of time and trouble.
Jenos
Lumpensammler
Lumpensammler

Are the weapon damage formulas different in Nehrim than Oblivion? I'm determining which weapon to use, and I have a set piece weapon that is weaker than a generic weapon I found. The generic would be superior in vanilla oblivion(due to the massive weight the damage formula puts on weapon damage) but I'm curious if that is the same here. Also, thanks for being so willing to answer all these questions. Its been a while since I've played Oblivion, this new game rekindled my interest in it, but I'm used to the convenience of wikis and guides to answer my questions for Oblivion but that isn't here for Nehrim yet.
Aisis
SureShortcut
SureShortcut
Sterndeuter
Sterndeuter

The formulas are the same (once again the hardcoded stuff), but there are some changes to the settings, took a look at it in the CS. Can't say which way it does affect them, there is too much stuff and hardly any explanations on Wiki about it. Anyway, it is definitely somewhat different.

Damage done by weapons depends on your character's strength, weapon type, your skills and you should always also consider the reach (how far away enemy you can hit with the weapon), speed (more hits with a faster yet weaker weapon can do more then the other way round, especially when you want to fight beasts) and of course the weight of the weapon. Don't forget the charged attacks too. I don't really understand the generic / set piece stuff, what is the difference? How can you tell them apart? :? (Except for special items, I do understand that one.)

I tend to carry a bow (the sneak attack damage multiplier is much higher then in Oblivion and you can use all the great poisons that way), one two handed weapon (far reach, great against stronger enemies, who are too dangerouse to get hit by them) and an one handed for common fights. Also keep an unenchanted weapon in reserve, some enemies have a spell reflect ability and enchanted weapons will do more damage to you then them. :wink:

No problem, I'll answer as long as I have the time. I am more used to getting to know the game by playing it, but I do understand the wish to know more about it.
Jenos
Lumpensammler
Lumpensammler

I was asking because I wanted to know how to choose over two weapons. I foolishly forgot that the damage score listed by the game is not the base weapon damage, but the modified score(based on strength/weapon skill/weapon HP). I'm curious about the sneak attack thing. You mention that sneak attack is higher in Nehrim than Oblivion. However, the messages I get don't indicate that. I have 35 sneak, which means I'm an apprentice. In oblivion I'd be getting 6x damage on sneak attacks with 1-handed weapons, in Nehrim I'm getting 4x. So am I missing something here, or is it supposed to be less?
9 Beiträge Seite 1 von 1