Smithing

Moderator: Moderatoren

23 Beiträge Seite 1 von 3
Crappynight
Lumpensammler
Lumpensammler

Hey guys! It's me again with a question.

I've been playing for the second time now and I've decided to go for smithing.

I have skill 90 now but I can't create a weapon higher than 1st ranks. It says "currently not possible".
Does it mean, no possible at this mod version or not possible at my current state (if so, when It will be)?

Thanks!
Chasm
Arkanmagier
Arkanmagier
Danksagung erhalten: 1 Mal

Higher ranks are not implemented, yet.
(No idea about the ETA though.)
junovalkyrie
Stadtwache
Stadtwache

On a similar note, does sharpening work at all? No matter what kind of weapon I have (iron, steel, silver, etc.), the game tells me that I don't have any weapons that I can sharpen.
Crappynight
Lumpensammler
Lumpensammler

It does work only if you make your own weapon.

I've tried it yesterday. But still, this doesn't add any damage to weapon.
crpgnut
Sterndeuter
Sterndeuter

This is a tacked on piece they should have just dropped unless they fleshed it out fully. It's a bummer wasting learning points on crafting to learn that it's nearly useless. I'd love to get my 50 LP back.

You can add hunting and cooking to this too. There is no benefit whatsoever to cooking or hunting. Cooked meat doesn't make better potions; it might heal a little more than when eaten raw, I never checked. It's like they wanted to attract the Gothic audience, but didn't have time to finish the work. Still, the pieces are there and maybe some other modder will come along and finish what was started.

These are pretty minor issues, but they do detract from the overall feeling of professionalism.
Crappynight
Lumpensammler
Lumpensammler

I have to disagree. I'm a gothic fan and Nehrim reminds me of Gothic very much. It's like from the same developers, only better.

I think I'll finish the smithing mod myself.
Geronimou
Stadtwache
Stadtwache

crpgnut hat geschrieben:
This is a tacked on piece they should have just dropped unless they fleshed it out fully. It's a bummer wasting learning points on crafting to learn that it's nearly useless. I'd love to get my 50 LP back.

You can add hunting and cooking to this too. There is no benefit whatsoever to cooking or hunting. Cooked meat doesn't make better potions; it might heal a little more than when eaten raw, I never checked. It's like they wanted to attract the Gothic audience, but didn't have time to finish the work. Still, the pieces are there and maybe some other modder will come along and finish what was started.

These are pretty minor issues, but they do detract from the overall feeling of professionalism.
There maybe isn't much use of cooking, but SureAI just has made it possible. And think it like this: if you have 50 ham and 50 Game, you can make a lot of restore health potions, right? But what if you have 100 ham, and no other ingredients, that have restore health as an effect? Well, then you just cook 50 of 'em, and you can again make some cool potions. And anyways, isn't it kinda strange, that in Cyrodiil even the counts and countesses eat raw meat?
junovalkyrie
Stadtwache
Stadtwache

Geronimou hat geschrieben:
crpgnut hat geschrieben:
This is a tacked on piece they should have just dropped unless they fleshed it out fully. It's a bummer wasting learning points on crafting to learn that it's nearly useless. -snip-

There maybe isn't much use of cooking, but SureAI just has made it possible.
I kind of agree with both of you. My assumption is that they put it in there intending to flesh crafting out a bit more eventually or let modders do so, and it has the potential to be a pretty cool addition once it's fully implemented. It's like releasing the English version with many non-critical texts untranslated; I can't really hold it against them that they wanted to let people start playing before smoothing out all of the rough edges. As modders in a project of this magnitude, I think they deserve some leeway on that sort of thing; if they had released a pay-for game, then yeah, I'd definitely be up in arms about it.

That said, what I do think is unprofessional is not informing players about it ahead of time. As crpgnut points out, it's a bit of a letdown to invest time and energy on something, whether it be training a skill or searching for clues about what to do next, only to find out that it's as-of-yet unimplemented. The obvious solution is to make note of this and other similar issues - Gervasius's third quest, the end of Zerobilon, etc. - in the readme. (A "Known Issues" section for things like the glider sounds problem would also be nice. Speaking of which... *slips over to the mod section*)
pls
Gauner
Gauner

I've been looking forward to craft my own armor and expected to get something taht's worth it (had to do that funny tower defense quest to get the thorium ingots soon enough) but I'm disappointed: all the thorium crafted armors (i tried assassin and ranger since i play sneaking bowman) are NOT better than the stuff i can find in the world (eg. highway thief's garb). is it any good to learn it at all? the only reason I see right now is the exps but they are also not much of a use since learnign dosen't give you any points to main attributes (i have about 50 spare LP and i don't know what to do with em, maybe later after my main atts are at max). so far, smithing sucks, except of arrows and lockpicks (they're cheaper made than bought but there's enough money to buy them too).
Xagul
Schattengott
Schattengott
Danksagung erhalten: 67 Mal

I have to disagree: Smithing makes sense. Besides adding more realism to the game, you get a load of EXP for every weapon and armor that you craft, especially for Level 2 items.
And you can sell these items for good money.
23 Beiträge Seite 1 von 3